Saturday, October 4, 2008

Yucky Bug In Our Backyard

This morning, Aidan came in from outside very intense about a "guee" that I had to come see. It was on the grass, holding a moth in it legs. It was also annoyed that I tried to touch it with the zoo pals spoon that was I happened to have been just about to add to the dishwasher. We went in and got the bug catcher from the toy box and set it over the top of it. It was a breeze to catch...apparently because we caught him mid-meal.

It's body was long and thin, but it had this fuzzy hump on above the shoulder area. While in the bug catcher, we could see its probiscus in the moth...sucking. Yep, gross. But, if you ever see this bug, you will now know what it is. I asked the question on "allexperts" and also "yahoo!answers". Thanks to "Thomas, the entomologist" I found out and went online to research this yucky bug.

It's a Robber Fly. These websites had the info I needed. Although they "eat" insects and spiders, if irritated, they can have a painful bite, so...I'm still debating whether I brave enough to let it go.
http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg228.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asilidae

Photobucket

Photobucket

1 comment:

ClancyPants said...

Kaa kaa poo poo. I don't likey. Don't let it go! Die!! Die!!! Die!!!!

You are a brave mamma.