I remember one year, sitting with my sisters at the table, cutting hearts out of construction paper and trying to come up with something clever to write on them...nothing too gushy for the boys, nothing too boring for the girls. We had a bag or two of conversation hearts between us all to tape onto the hearts. (That made me laugh just typing it...the image that it brought back was too fun.)
Now that my children are in school, it's truly a whole new holiday. I think almost every parent sends some kind of dessert in for the party...cupcakes with pink frosting, red frosting, white frosting with pink hearts, various cookies, mostly the cutout kind, a juice box, a sunny delight, thankfully, at Allie's party a parent also sends in a fruit tray and another sends a veggie tray. I have to be honest and say that the fruits and veggies get eaten, while the extra cookies and cupcakes get thrown in the garbage.
The mom that was helping to coordinate the party called me Thursday afternoon to say that even though I had signed up to help, most of the things were taken care of. She had made a treat bag (a lunch sack sized bag filled with coloring books, stencils, tattoos, pencils, and candy of course). The fruit and veggie tray had been taken care of, as well as cupcakes and juice. She mentioned that no one has signed up for cookies, so if I wanted, I could bring those. I tried to be polite on the phone, but actually laughed out loud when I hung up. There was really NO way that I was going to waste time or money on cookies when they had so much, and when I was almost positive that they would get them anyway.
Allie confirmed that they had two cookies, two cupcakes, juice box, vegetables, fruit, and candy.
Something new since we moved here, is the insane amount of importance this area places on Valentine's Day. I'm relatively certain that the grocery store here in town will be open today, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they closed up a little early.
It's that big.
Last year, we moved here just before Valentine's Day, so the complete craziness of it took us by surprise. My children insisted that everyone in school got balloons, bouquets, stuffed animals, gifts from friends, gifts from boyfriends and girlfriends, gifts from crushes, and single roses. Uh...what? Serious craziness.
It's That Big.
After seeing how much money and energy went into the gifts, flowers, balloons, and homecoming corsages, yes, even for middle-schoolers, I should not have been as shocked at the balloon turnout for Valentine's Day. I think that our little town is single-handedly keeping the latex company in business.
It's THAT Big.
Alex was such a sweetheart and sent his sisters flowers.
It's THAT BIG.
I was a little relieved to see that, as I drove to the back of the school to pick up Alex, where the Athletics building is located, there were no balloons back there. I commented to Alex about what a difference it was to compare the front of the school to the back, and how at least people didn't go so overboard that they showered the 8th grade boys with balloons. I was wrong. They all HAD balloons; they had already sucked all the helium out of them.
I really wish I had taken a picture of the front of the school on my way past, because by the time I wrapped around to get Aimee (flow of traffic and all) it had dispersed to a more acceptable size. Once again I was told that my children were the ONLY ones who didn't get balloons and flowers. In most instances, it's obvious when children exaggerate the "ONLY", but in this case, I don't think they were stating anything but fact. (oh, look, picture proof that they aren't the ONLY ones...unless this girl sucked all the helium out too.)
IT'S THAT BIG.
Unfortunately, our children will continue to be the only ones without bouquets because I think it is INSANITY and refuse to join in.
That's just not what Valentine's Day is about. Just my opinion. Is it this crazy everywhere?
5 comments:
I bet you can't say "Jesus" at Christmastime though. Pretty wild. I haven't seen kids with balloons here in Preston.
Oh, you can definitely say Jesus as Christmas time. Religion is HUGE down here...almost as big as Homecoming. LOL No, but seriously, they have a moment of silence after the Pledge of Allegiance in the mornings. Also...no sports are scheduled for Wednesday nights ... Wednesday night church. I am SO glad that Preston isn't so much into the balloon obsession.
Well, luckily I haven't seen people going crazy here yet...but you know, EVERYTHING'S BIG IN TEXAS!!!
I'm amazed... and grateful to live where I do. I'm proud of you not joining in.
oi vay... good for you though- stick to yur guns!! the seriously commercialized v-day has hit all y'all!!! yuck :oP you should check with the other texans that have been there a while & see if & when it changed.
on a funnier note, i had a LOVELY v-day this year w some new friends- a fun, "hot, spicey, sensuous....food!" night & had a really fun time! the conversation hearts i ate almost made me gag but were ON my cupcake, so I felt obligated to eat them (grief! how messed up is that?!) Allie needs to send me some of her loot!!! :D
Post a Comment