Bring on the hate, Elton John fans.
So, what I discovered about my music knowledge this week is that I don't know a lot of Elton John's song. (Dustin knew them all, of course, and was appalled that I was so clueless.) Admittedly, I have purposely chosen to avoid some of them because I have heard them and don't like them. Others, I love. Elton John is probably about 50/50 for me. So, as the singers presented their versions of these songs, I found that I liked Sir Elton John's music a little more than I thought I did. However, since I didn't know some of the songs, I didn't have a stylized expectation, so I tended to disagree with the judges a couple times.
Scotty McCreery, "Country Comfort": You might think Scotty is a bit too country for me, and you'd be right, except for the fact that I'm so impressed by the voice that comes out of him. It is so deep and full that I have no problem listening to all his twang. He definitely took the song much more country, and I didn't find anything wrong with the performance. It was good. Was it better than Elton? IMHO: yes.
Naima Adedapo, "I'm Still Standing": I don't like most of her clothing choices, so it was not surprise tonight that I hated her jump suit, but her hair was cute. I was worried for her that she was changing up a song so much, but pleasantly surprised at the result. I thought the judges were totally wrong. This is one song where I think they were too familiar with the original to listen openly and unbiased. I thought it was fun. After she sang, I listened to the original. I can see why they were so set on it, and the styles were different enough that I can't say that I liked one better than the other. I like them both.
Paul McDonald, "Rocket Man": This song I actually do know. I think Elton John does it better. I have loved some of Paul's songs, but this one sounded monotonous and boring to me. (Sorry, Paul)
Pia Toscano, "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me": I like her voice. I don't think she should have done another ballad. This is one of his songs I've probably avoided on purpose. I think it's boring. I think she made it more boring.
Stefano Langone, "Tiny Dancer": Yes, I know this song. Yes, Stefano did it better than Elton John.
Lauren Alaina, "Candle In The Wind": I love Elton John's version of this song. I think Lauren looked and sounded like she was in a high school talent show.
James Durbin, "Saturday Night's Alright": I thought this was okay. There was nothing really stand-out about it. It was similar to Elton John's, similar to Nickelback's version. It wasn't a very strong choice for him. I don't really like this song, so I don't know who did it better.
Thia Megia, "Daniel": Don't hate me...I don't recall hearing this song. Maybe I have. Dustin says I can't have NOT heard this song. Okay, fine. Maybe. But I don't remember. So, all while he was cringing for her, thinking she shouldn't have done such a signature song, I thought it was fine. I listened to Elton John's version and liked his better.
Casey Abrams, "Your Song": Also not extremely familiar with this one, but I do recall hearing it. I think the judges were right to save him last week. He should definitely be around for a few more weeks. I also like his version better.
Jacob Lusk, "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word": I really don't like Jacob's singing. EVER. So, did I like his version of this song? Nope. The judges love him, so I never agree with them on his performances. This is a good song. Obviously, Elton John did it better.
Haley Reinhart, "Benny and the Jets": According to Dustin, I'm crazy because I don't like this song. But, I do like Haley's version better than Elton John's. I think it turned out well. Best performance of the night? Not really, Randy.
So, there you go. Since your like or dislike of me lies entirely on my opinion and knowledge of Elton John's music, you can hate me now.
No comments:
Post a Comment