Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St Patrick's Day

Corned beef is our basic stand-by St. Patrick's Day dinner. The sides vary, but I never make cabbage. I don't like cooked cabbage. Unfortunately for me, corned beef seems to be the same as every other meal in this house, which is some people like it, some people don't.  In the interest of change, I switched it up. We did not have corned beef this year.  Nearing dinner time, I regretted the meal plan. I started thinking that just because my family always manages to complain about something, I shouldn't break with tradition. Lucky for my meal plan, I only have one grocery store in town and I was almost certain I didn't want to buy corned beef there.

I stuck with the plan and we had green food! No dye.  There are plenty of delicious green foods out there without adding dye to food that isn't actually green.  (Also, one year we had green milk at breakfast and  green mashed potatoes with dinner and that did not go over well. Entirely unappetizing to our children *remember, they are "selective".* And to be honest, I found dyed-green food unappetizing as well. No use making unappetizing food if your kids don't even think it's fun or cool or yummy. )
Leprechaun Greens with Pot of Gold

Leprechaun Greens for dinner:
Green Goddess Pasta and Chicken Salad
Cucumber
Spinach Salad

Allie called our Kool-Aid, which was pink, "Fairy Punch" (we don't have Kool-Aid often, and I didn't have green on hand)

Dessert:
Pot of Gold (aka lemon jello cubes)

Aidan came up with an amazing recipe, which you may be at a disadvantage for future lemon-aid stands if I don't share this valuable knowledge.

"To make lemon juice you should have jello and a jello squisher. Then put the jello in the jello squisher and hold it over a cup. Then. Poof. You have lemon juice that's yummy to drink! Or if you don't have a jello squisher, you can just swish the jello in your mouth until it is juice. Then swallow." (We don't have a jello squisher. He is just the patented inventor of that little miracle machine.)

Can you tell we don't have jello that often either?

No comments: