Hint: It has lime!!! You know I'm a total lime addict. Seriously...fresh lime, fresh cilantro, cumin...how could you go wrong??!!!
This soup came from Our Best Bites. If you aren't following their blog yet, you are missing out! So yummy. They also have a cookbook out now, so you have no excuse for not savoring every bite of every meal. I switched up some of the ingredients because ... well, that's how I cook, for the most part. But, I kept the most important parts in tact. Click here for the link to their post on this soup or click here for the link to the Taco Chicken! Trust me, it's that good (and it has lime). After grilling the chicken, Dustin and I reluctantly put most of it into the soup, but the self-control paid off. This chicken would be good no matter where you put it.
After I made this soup, I had a vague recollection of seeing the ingredients before. Guess what? I was right. I already had a similar recipe that I had found a couple of years ago. The version I had, though, just used regular cooked diced chicken. The chicken in this recipe is A-MAZE-ING! If you want to check out this recipe, which I never made, click here; it was posted by Diana Rattray, and she adds carrots and corn.
I know there are some of you who cook one meal and eat it for however long it lasts, and I am slightly envious. I could blame it on my husband and kids, but that wouldn't be very accurate: I don't especially languish the thought of eating the same thing at every meal. I want to switch it up, add variety, texture, nutrients. Not so with this one. I will admit, I ate it for lunch and dinner for a few days after (I doubled it, because...why on earth wouldn't you???)
I am posting the recipe with my alterations so I can remember them. Click the links above to make it in its original form. As she mentions, this recipe is brothier than my Chicken Tortilla Soup standby recipe, just so you know what to expect. Also, despite her insistence on fresh lime juice only, the limes at my store looked aweful, felt hard, and were totally expensive. I used bottled; still delish!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
(keep in mind I doubled and had leftovers)
1 recipe Taco Chicken (start marinating this in the morning)
1 large onion, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 Anaheim pepper, seeded, diced
4 cups water + 4 tsp Better Than Bouillon, for 4 cups broth
1 15-oz can diced tomatoes
1 can black beans (if you're cool and remember to start beans, which I NEVER do, obviously, you could use those)
1/4 c lime juice (opt)
salt and pepper to taste
TOPPINGS:
finely grated cheese (we used
fresh cilantro
sliced avacado
tortilla chips
Grill taco chicken. While letting it stand, sautee onion in a small amount of olive oil, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and peppers; sautee until softened, not browned. Add chicken broth and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer 10 minutes. Add black beans; simmer 5-10 more minutes.
Remove from heat. Add diced chicken and lime juice. Serve and top as desired.
Taco Chicken
1 lb chicken breast
2 limes, juiced
A splash of red wine vinegar
3 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
Combine lime juice and red wine vinegar. Add garlic. pour over chicken. Turn to evenly coat. Turn chicken every hour, or couple of hours, to allow both sides to marinate. Marinate 4-8 hours.
Heat grill. Combine spices and rub evenly on chicken.
Grill about 5 minutes per side, or until just cooked. Don't overcook and dry out the chicken. That would be sad. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment