Nutrition labels are always changing. It has only been in last couple of years that companies had to list trans fat in the fat breakdown. As a child, I could look at the label on the cereal box and see how many grams of carbohydrates there were, multiply it by four, and know just how many calories from carbs I was eating. Figuring out the percentages was just something I did quietly in my mind while I ate. Now, the box lists the percentage of your daily caloric needs each macronutrient is providing. That's a good thing because it really frees up my mind to read email and catch up on headlines while mindlessly getting to the bottom of the bowl.
While I agree that it's important that fast food restaurants have made their nutrition information more available, perhaps they, along with food labels should, yet again, add to their breakdown. I'm not sure if we could convince McDonald's to change the name of the BigMac to "5 Mile Jog" but maybe they could add it in really small letter between the name of the product and the calories listed. Or, maybe just the fries could indicate that, yeah, eating the hamburger might be okay, but add the fries and you better get book yourself for an hour of aerobics.
With the success of dance workouts like "Zumba" and TV reality shows like "Dancing With The Stars" and "So You Think You Can Dance," our local ballroom dancing studios could gain lots of new clients. Their marquee could say something like, "Drink a soda at lunch today? Come dance it off for an hour!"
I wonder if anyone would think twice about eating a 100 calorie snack pack of chocolate covered pretzels if it were instead called a 20 Minutes on the Treadmill Pack.
2 comments:
LOL!!! I like your idea! I will think twice the next time I want a big mac!
Very clever... you might be onto something!
Post a Comment