When we first moved here, we knew that we would need to make some adjustments. It's a much smaller town than we are used to, and, admittedly, I have yet to make some of those adjustments (okay, most of them). I have been resistant, both consciously and subconsciously, which might take a little away from the small town feeling, but I tend to be defensive about it.
One thing I won't give up, is my trips to the "city." It's not huge; the population (of the combined metro area of the nearby cities, really) is about 255,000. But it's an improvement to me over the 10,000 in our little town. Initially, I thought I could just make really good lists and minimize by trips to the stores. Save money, save gas, save time...it sounds good. But in reality, I like my trips. I like the drive over. I like the time there. I like my friends, I like the stores, I like the parks, I like the sense of normalcy.
When I realize that I feel I have to "visit" normal, I feel guilty about not just being happy with the small town time while we are here. I want to take the kids to lessons in the city, rather than here, because they are better. I don't want to just accept this other view of 'normal.' In theory, I easily accept that I don't have to love everything all the time, but actually feeling okay about it takes more effort.
Come to think of it, a trip to the store is definitely warranted today. I need some new mascara, and I'm pretty sure Aidan wants to play at a new park today.
For a little less of my guilt trip version on the word "Trip" today, check out Mo's Manic Monday.
4 comments:
If we didn't have this inherent yearning for more than what we have, civilization would never have progressed, and we'd still be living in caves. Wishing you all of the trip with none of the guilt!
Tink *~*~*
Cruising the Sassagoula River
Tink's comment is so right! I would go further! Often, we need those trips to appreciate just how good home really is! Absence makes the heart grow fonder etc.
It's all in what your used to, and what you're willing to become used to.
Ditto to Travis and ditto to Tink! Let it be ok to take ALL of your experience in. It's all God's creation & ours as well since we are co-creators. ^_* (that's me winking)
Post a Comment