"Because We Don't All Get A Second Chance"
Winter, its biting cold and piercing wind, was finally at an end. The sun, not yet persuasive enough to encourage the grass and flowers, felt warm and safe, thawing my core. As I stretched and reached, I felt strong. I could tell that I had grown, in both body and spirit. The season of rest had awakened within me the desire to stand firm and not be affected by the changes of the world. It was to be my year, my season to shine.
I worked more than I ever had and earlier than in the past, earlier than those around me. I welcomed the sun; I absorbed all that she was willing to give; still she left me yearning for her touch. At the end of the day, she fled, to grant me time to build. I spent these hours enriching my self from the earth; all that she offered me was never enough.
But it was. They both held knowledge beyond my own., and with their help, I had achieved the first part of my goal.
That spring, my buds were the first to arrive and I was the star that I had dreamed. I stood proud when I heard how beautiful I was and my spirit soared to know the pleasure that I gave them. The joy and elation that the sun had rained upon me in those early days exploded deep inside and I was pleased to be the benefactor now.
When the others joined me in their show of color, I was already green, and so continued to reap the attention I so needed.
The days became warmer and then hot; my beauty provided peace and comfort. I continued to draw nourishment from the sun and the earth until, as always, I felt autumn approaching. The others still appeared vivid and fresh, but in my haste to shake off winter's frigid coat of white, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the spring. I forgot to notice the small changes in the earth as it basked in the new warmth. I forgot to savor the sensation of every part of me strengthening from the nutrients of the earth. I forgot what it felt like to breath the scent of newness and freshness that covers the earth. In my eagerness, I became singulary-focused and lost sight of the big picture.
I froze in my growth. I would stop it all. I refused to succumb to the call of autumn. Although I enjoyed the new change and colors, I wasn't ready to let go of summer; I held onto her warmth. I held onto the season that I had missed. I ignored the crispness, gave no attention to the earth as she changed her offering and prepared herself for the coming days. I hadn't gotten my summer; I would take it now.
I stood strong and green while the others changed. I mocked them for their weakness in allowing the seasons to change them at will. My will was stronger, my determination set. I would enjoy the moments I had missed.
The day of the frost proved that even my strength and resolve was no match for nature. In my resistance, I once again missed out. I lost the beauty of autumn. The time to change had passed and I was now bare like the rest of them...without the colors that I so loved. I grieved for my loss and for my naiveness.
Yes, the sun and earth held knowledge beyond my own.
I was too busy being what I thought I should be to enjoy just being me.
I will ever more immerse myself in the uniqueness of each season. I will savor. I will bask. I will see. I will breath life.
2 comments:
Wow! That was awesome!
Love ya! Are you guys traveling this way for any of the upcoming holidays?
:)
Thanks. I wish it were as easy as listening to the story of a tree and learning from his mistakes. LOL
We are staying down here for the holiday. Yet another reason to look forward to a time we will move nearer!
Post a Comment