I could just write about how I really love nicely ironed things, I just don't like starch and I don't usually like to do the ironing. That would be about all I would have to say though, so actually, I'll have to share my iron story.
I was probably 12 or 13. (My parents and siblings could probably remember the exact year.) As was the standard for Sunday morning, we were doing our own personal hustling about, trying to not only enjoy the morning with our family, but also get be off to church on time. I didn't really need to iron my whole shirt, but I did need to press a couple creases out. So I didn't leave a lot of time for that little project. After hair and makeup and partially dressing, I dashed out to touch up my shirt. The iron was totally awesome and heated up almost instantly. The shirt looked great in just seconds; I threw it on, folded up the ironing board, then glanced over and switched off the iron. I even had time to help my sister tie her dress and curl her bangs.
Just before we left for church, my dad looked over at the iron, which had tipped over onto it's side, and asked, "who left the iron out?"
I answered innocently enough, "I did, but it was still cooling, it should be fine, I'll put it away now."
My dad was there first and picked it up to hand to me. Not only was it not cooled yet, it was still on. When I turned it off, I was facing the iron, rather than behind it, so I actually turned it all the way on, rather than off. When it tipped over, it was not innocently resting on the floor, but melting a line 4 inches long and 1 inch wide into the carpet.
Thankfully it was noticed before church, rather after (and probably only moments after it was tipped), so that we had a melted carpet line, rather than a burning house. (I don't know, could an iron start the whole house on fire??) Fortunately the carpet was old and my carelessness was the final motivation for new carpet!
Luckily, I learn from my mistakes and I always leave the hot iron on a sturdy surface and not only turn it to off, but also unplug it when I'm finished (with the cord tucked back so that it can't be bothered.)
(Note to family: feel free to correct me on any details...I'm a little sketchy, but I do admit to the deed...that's what matters, right?)
3 comments:
LOL! I love it! I think we all have a story similar to that. Zandy's was a burning red log that he was trying to adjust and it rolled out of the fireplace off the hearth and onto the carpet. My parents were NOT happy, but dad replaced the burned square and you could never tell it was there!
I'm grateful I don't have an iron story- yet I do have a cooking oil story that started a fire in our kitchen. (Like you it inspired my parents to remodel after that)
Clancy: That's nice that he could just replace the square and not the whole thing. That's a good argument for people getting carpet...always carpet the closet, it costs so little and will save you a lot of work later when you already have that "extra bit" on hand. haha
Brecca: Cooking oil is totally scary. I've seen some of the videos about the warnings and I think anyone would be crazy not to be totally panicked (is that how you spell that word? add a k and an ed? weird) Anyway, I'm glad you got the remodel as well...
the things we children have to do to motivate our parents.
Post a Comment