Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Trash Talk Tuesday

There may not be a need for Trash Talk every Tuesday, but this week, I've got some!

Common courtesy, social graces, and basic good manners --truly basic, I'm not talking Emily Post perfection, just
the basics!

Although I'm far from perfect in this area, I believe that my parents raised me well and taught me most of the things I need to know. When teaching my own children, I'm seeing now that I wish I had insisted on certain manners earlier on with. Sometimes it seems that children are so little and some things are nothing to worry about, but once a habit is established, it's harder to change.
It is of course little things like Yes, ma'am, yes, sir, etc. However, my children certainly know that when someone is walking in a door behind you, rather than letting it slam in their face, you hold it open.
In defense of all geographic areas, it is not a Northerner thing or a Southerner thing or anywhere inbetween. We had people tell us that moving to Texas you'd meet the "nicest folks." Well, maybe some of them are fine, but others need some lessons in good manners and presentation.
I'm actually appalled at some of the behavior that I see on a regular basis. So, in no particular order, for the north, south, east, and west, near and far, at home or abroad, here are some courtesies, manners, and social graces that I really want to see make a comeback. :(

"Manner" words: Please, Thank You, Excuse Me, You're Welcome

Holding a door open for a fellow being...if you will be holding it for 5 seconds or less, or if it will slam in your fellow walker's face, hold the thing open. You can make up for the energy it took by eating a half of a jelly bean later.

When leaving a busy parking lot, let a car in every now and then. You may someday be that car and hopefully karma will come back around.
Likewise, letting someone merge in bumper to bumper traffic isn't going get you there any later.

Look people in the eye, smile, and say "hi." Other shoppers at the grocery store aren't your worst enemy and a simple "hi" won't kill you. In fact, it will actually make you feel better.

Offer to give up you seat or chair to grown ups (especially pregnant women) and really really grown ups (yes old people). Often times, they may prefer to stand, but ALWAYS offer.

Chew with your mouth closed.

Don't bring animals into stores...not even the cute purse sized ones.

Don't talk loudly or chew popcorn loudly in a movie theater.

Don't interrupt. We know our opinion is always better than someone else's, but at least pretend to listen. Don't speak when it's someone else turn.

Don't clip your fingernails in public...it's just gross.

A bottle of perfume is supposed to be bottomless...meaning it NEVER RUNS OUT!!! If you notice yours running out, YOU'RE USING TOO MUCH. If you are planning to be in an enclosed area, (office building, library church, restaurant, someone's home) don't douse yourself. Remember, you never want your smell to introduce your presence to a room.

Don't walk into someone else's house and start eating their food (or change the channel on the TV, or stopping the music) without asking. If you are there for dinner, ask if there is anything you can do to help. If you aren't there to eat, don't chow down.

Make space for fellow walkers in the store, the sidewalk, the park, whatever. You don't need to take up the whole path just so that you and your friends can all line up side-by-side. Fall back into two or three different lines and allow for others to pass by on the other side of you. (Note: passing by implies safety...don't make someone else walk in the gutter or street) Share the walkway.

If there is one cookie left, (or roll, taco, chips, popcicle, piece of chicken, etc...anything, really) offer to split it.

Pay attention to where you're going. Don't walk into people and don't expect them to move out of your way.

If someone is busy and you are sitting around doing nothing, offer to help.

Don't flick cigarrette butts out the window. Nobody wants your toxic waste on the streets of town. And never drop them at the playground. Kids put everything in their mouths...enough said.

If you have a cart full of groceries and the customer behind you has only 1 item, let them go in front of you. (Ask "Do you just have that one item?" That way, if they are actually waiting for their shopping partner, you won't let them in front of you and then have to wait 15 minutes.)

NEVER spit out your gum in a parking lot or on the sidewalk. Gum on shoes, in cars, in houses ...it just ruins someone's day...use a garbage!!!

Put your shopping cart in the cart return.

If you use the last of the toilet paper, get a new roll.

Before entering someone's home, ask if they want your shoes off. Shoes track in a lot of gross stuff that people just don't want their babies crawling around in and putting in their mouths.

And of course, if you open it, close it, if you turn it on, turn it off, if you get it out, put it away.


Unfortunately, the readers of my blog are courteous people. They already know and do all of these things, and more, so it only serves as a vent session. (Well, actually, I should say fortunately, I just mean it's too bad some of the people who need to hear this aren't the ones reading.)


I don't want to just blog a big whine session, but I decided that everybody could use a some vent time. So, in an attempt to keep all of my other days clear of all negativity, I'll just put it all up on Trash Talk Tuesday. If you ever feel a need to step away from possitivity for a few minutes, feel free to join me in some Trash Talk. (And this after my "Formula for Happiness" lol Whatever)

2 comments:

sassley said...

Trash Talk it up sista!!I totally feel the same way. WHAT THE HECK happened to good manners. We live in a sick society of selfish folks I tell ya. It is all about me, me me. At work I have so many parents that are RUDE and their kids are worse. I will say "Good Morning" and I will get NO response. Really folks how hard it is to just say "Good Morning" back. It just makes me want to slap them I tell ya. My mom would have slapped me if I didn't respond to an adult who was talking to me. Come on parents step it up and actually expect something out of your kids. I loved the jelly bean comment that was so funny. I want to copy this post and put it on my blog because I feel the exact same way. All I have left to say is AMEN POLLY well said!!

Big Sis said...

AAAAY- MEN!!!! I can't tell you HOW many times I think about the VAST majority of this post. In fact, I have a almost a whole post on the whole 'fall into single lines on sidewalks & walkways so as to not let your fellow passerby-er walk in the street/road or WORSE stand and WAIT for your whole dumb @ss party to pass' bit. As a runner & biker, I happen upon this ALL THE TIME. I am constantly floored at the unkind 'chicken-esque' moves that happen in these sidewalk scenarios. Seriously people! Seriously?! Just share the lane!!! omg...

Oh, my... you touched on some big nerves for me here. As in, movie talkers & folks who chew with their mouths open. I have a MAJOR dilema in this area... as in, I'm going to have to tell a friend of mine, becuase she doesn't know or she probably woudn't do it, that she seriously chews with her mouth open. How IN THE WORLD am I going to deal with this?!?! I'm getting to the point where I just can't take it anymore... oi vay...

Movie talkers?!?! All I can say is, Not Cool. I am CONSTANTLY running into this problem as I'm a movie-a-holic. I'm no longer scared about what people will say to me or what exactly to say- i've come up with a FOOL PROOF way to do this... so far, so EXCELLENTE!:) Hmmmm... a post? Me thinks yes! :o)