Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Second Day of School

Today Aidan brought home a book that he colored and assembled in school today. He showed it to me in the rearview mirror on our way home from school, and even at that quick look, I could tell it was in Spanish.
"Oh, cool, you colored a Spanish book today?"
"No, It isn't Spanish. It's just a book about cleaning up the beach."
"Are you sure? Did you read it with your teacher? It looks like it's written in Spanish."
"Yep, I'm sure. See."
He flipped through a few pages and then said, "Oh, yep, it's in Spanish because I can't read any of it."
I laughed out loud because that reasoning totally caught me off guard. Obviously, he wouldn't have been able to read it in English or Spanish, but that didn't play into his conclusions.


As was the case last year, the second day didn't go as smoothly as the first. Aidan becomes fully aware of exactly what happens at school, the length of time he is there, the activities presented, and weighs the information against his expectations and perceptions. He then decides that it isn't worth it and doesn't like to stay. I stayed at the school way too long at the school just hanging out in the background so that he felt comfortable there. There wasn't really an opportunity to leave, though because the teachers weren't really available to keep him engaged or from following me out the door. Tomorrow will be different. I have a new plan. :)

I'm always interested to know just what the children came away with from their lessons. Aidan told me what he learned today.
"My teacher teached...teached....teached?...taught. My teacher taught me the rules of don't do that.
Don't throw pencils.
Don't put scissors in your mouth.
And also glue."

"Really? Did you learn those because someone did that and she told you all not to?"
"Nope. That's just the don't do that rules. We just learned them."

Mmmmmkay.

No comments: