Tuesday, August 23, 2011

His Kryptonite

My awesome little superhero put on the bravado and walked into Kindergarten like he owned the place. Aidan didn't do so well with shots. After not even crying for the first one, he realized she was doing more. It was all over for self-control at that point. When she accidentally threw one of the shots away, and went to get another, he told me, "if she does that again, I will kick her."  He wasn't lying. Our nurse brought in a helper, who immediately reassured me that it was fine if he kicked her, hit her, scratched her...that this was normal for children who are being hurt; they protect themselves, and she's cool with it. And yes, he growled and kicked and screamed and clawed. I found myself wondering just what I was doing. How much is too much? Because really, I don't feel strongly enough about any of those shots to warrant that kind of trauma for him. And of course I continue to dwell on it, replaying and deciding just what will and won't happen in the future.

No comments: