Sunday, August 14, 2011

Act on the Spirit

How awesome is it that we can have personal revelation in our lives?!!   Simply by listening to our consciousness, our inner voice, and the Spirit of the Lord, we have the opportunity to affect our lives and the lives of those around us. Today was Stake Conference for us, and the youth were singing a couple of special musical numbers, in which Alex and Aimee were participating (which guaranteed me not slacking off and skipping out). So we hopped in the car to go to church 45 minutes away at the Stake center. It was a wonderful experience, of course, and I'm always thankful for the opportunity to be inspired.

What I took most to heart today was the reminder to listen to the Spirit and act on it.  I think we all have moments and times that we are doubting ourselves, doubting our intuition, doubting our own knowledge, and I needed to be brought back to myself, rather than the hesitations of the world.

Our Lubbock area mission president related a story from his own mission. They had asked about one woman in their area and were told that her adult son lived with her. The son hadn't been welcoming to the messages from the church, and they were told if they spoke with the woman, they should do so when he wasn't home, or be prepared to get an earful from her son. Some time passed and they stayed buys with other visits, but they felt strongly that they needed to visit this woman. They prayed about it and were certain that they should visit her. Arriving in front of her house, they prayed that she would be home, and felt certain that she would be, because the Spirit reassured them.  They prayed that the son wouldn't be home.  That prayer went unanswered. As they walked up the path, they saw the son looking out the window. They looked at each other and, again, were assured they should visit her home anyway. When they knocked at the door and introduced themselves, the son immediately got his mother.
For the entire visit, the son stayed in the corner, silently watching. When they finally left, he asked to accompany them out.  Again, silently, he followed them.  Upon arriving at their car, he finally spoke. "I don't know who you are, I don't know what you want, All I know is what I felt.  I felt purpose."  He went on to explain that before they came, he had an increasing sense of being lost and feeling no purpose. He was contemplating suicide, and then they showed up at his door.  He felt hope and he felt purpose.  The Spirit spoke to him through those Elders because they listened to the promptings of the Spirit. 

I needed this today. I am so grateful for personal revelation, knowing that the Lord loves us and continues to bless us each and every day.

1 comment:

ClancyPants said...

You rock. I love that you shared this.

Love you.
C