Thursday, April 21, 2011

Costuming in April

When asked if I sew, my answer is usually that I only sew Christmas pajamas and Halloween costumes.  Since I have purchased store costumes and pajamas the last couple of years, I can't say what I have been sewing. Nothing much, I guess. I do like to sew. I like to make something out of nothing. I like finding the perfect print and altering a pattern that I sort of like to create something that I love.  But, I don't always have time for it.

This week I sewed. It was simple and quick, but I still like it. It was a costume.  Aimee is attending the youth conference pioneer trek and needed "period clothing", so we all made skirts and bonnets and I expect that they will come home absolutely filthy.
The bonnet now has ribbon. I took this picture while Aimee was complaining about the outfit and there was no way I was getting her to put it back on for just for ribbon. That's her pretend smile. :)


Last week I sewed.  It was not straight forward and simple, but it was still a costume.  Allie is researching Helen Keller for her GT project and during the presentation, she is supposed to dress as Helen Keller would have. I couldn't think of anything that we had on hand that would work for clothing for late 1800's to early 1900's.  Alllie wanted to dress as Helen Keller as a child about her same age, so we went from there.  After copious amounts of research, which was probably less necessary, but required for my own peace of mind, we decided on a look. Then the look was changed when Allie saw the pattern I was using and told me not to do the alterations that I had planned. She also insisted on the eyelet lace at the bottom. (not my first choice, but cheaper, so ...you know)
This isn't going to be her hairdo, but she does want hairs to fall out of whatever we do.  She thinks this hair looks "old-timey".

Boots with buttons up the side. They are glued on, but the idea is there. :)


Heavy Sigh

So, with Allie's approval, I made minimal alterations and her Helen Keller look is complete. I feel like the dress is a couple decades off, but she likes it, and it doesn't really matter. It's for a 5 minute second grade research project.

Since Helen Keller didn't wear dark glasses or carry a cane, we went with a doll for her prop.  Allie knows how to spell  WATER and DOLL in sign language, which were important words to a young Helen Keller.  Her presentation is sometime in May, so I'll try to post a video.

Now, I really want to make something that isn't a costume. I'm thinking some dresses or skirts for Aimee, since our shopping trip was pretty unsuccessful.  I've decided that the clothing stores need new buyers, namely me.  I will tell them what to stock so that our young teens don't have to buy ugly clothes.  (Why, yes, Dillars, I'd like my 13 year old to wear a strapless mini dress to church on Sunday. It's always fun to have to pull up your top the whole day long. Or, here's an idea...stock clothing that people can put on that will stay in place and look good.)

No comments: