Wednesday, April 6, 2011

American Idol April 6 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

(LOL!!!  I guess I missed the beginning where we were told that Gwen Stefani helped dress the contestants.  All of my critisism of their clothing stands. I wrote those before I knew it was her, and looking back, I can see Gwen dressing someone in poofy-front mini shorts whether they flatter or not. I can see Stefani thinking people should wear pantsuits.  They shouldn't.)

Jacob Lusk-The Man In the Mirror: As much as I've hated every other performance of his, this one was not bad. The beginning sounded okay, the middle almost lost it, but then he held on to it. Amazingly enough, I didn't find myself fast-forwarding him.

Haley Reinhart-Take a Little Piece of My Heart: Not sure the rasp is working for you, girl. Like she's going to wake up with no voice tomorrow. The performance was strong, no musical problems, but she should have used her own voice.

Casey Abrams-Have You Ever Seen The Rain: Aw...he made me smile for the first time in tonight's performances. Love this song. Love him singing it. How cute was that performance?!!! And Randy was totally right saying that the bass was "cool".

Lauren Alaina-Natural Woman: Okay...first...who dressed her??? They should be fired. Those checkered shorts are atrocious. Her vocals were spot on, but the song seemed dull in comparison to the previous performances of the night. Didn't stand out as an "idol", imho.

James Durbin-While My Guitar Gently Weeps: Sweet!  He needed to totally showcase his nice softer voice on this performance. He was right to switch it up and go with a slower number. I thought he started out a little shakey, but got it back when he came in stronger. I don't think this was his best performance because the song seemed to be a bit out of his range.

Scotty McCreery - That's Alright Mama : I liked the difference in this performance from him, but I didn't think he kept up the energy that it seemed like the song should have had.  It felt a little boring, when it should have been fun.

Pia Toscano - River Deep Mountain High : Jumpsuits are ugly. I was going to say that the judges can't really say the singers were pitchy at this point, but they should have told her that. I think she fell a little short.

Stefano Langone - When A Man Loves A Woman: The falsetto wasn't a super impressive way to open the song, but he definitely has idol quality and he can feel the song and sing spot on, strong, throughout. Liked him tonight!

Paul McDonald - Folsom Prison Blues : Fun performance. Always good energy from him. I love me some Johnny Cash, but this quick paced lively "blues" was totally idol. He shouldn't get voted off for this.
 

So... my choice for tomorrow? ...bye-bye Lauren,  bye-bye Pia . One of them should be next.

Edit: Just reading a couple headline reviews of last night's performances and I'm still not sure why people liked Pia's performance last night. If dialidol is right, I'll be sad to see Paul leave before Jacob. 

No comments: