Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Only Time I Stood In Line With Aidan At The Bank

I know. He's only 5. But I'm pretty sure there won't be many follow up visits to the bank counter with Aidan in tow. Why?
1. I never go to the bank.  We use electronic banking and if I do have to go to the bank to cash checks or something, I do it in the drive-thru. I also do it while the kids are at school.
2. I don't foresee myself wanting to be implicated for bank robbery while talking to the teller ever. Ever again, that is.
Aidan wanted to go into the bank with me to cash checks yesterday. We went to the one in the grocery store so that we could pick up a few essential ingredients for dinner in the same stop. This local credit union isn't exactly my go-to bank. We have an account, but rarely use it. So, a quick check-cashing trip turned into a slightly longer reactivate the account trip. (In my defense, this particular bank sends the account into inactivity after 3 or 4 months. It's really not that long.)
While I was entirely impressed that Aidan chose conversation over mischief, I'm still trying to figure out what goes on in the minds of small children.

A: Mom, has anyone ever gone to jail?
Me: (looking innocently at teller while teller eyes me with raised eyebrows) Yeah, some people go to jail.
A: Who?
Me: I don't know anyone in jail. (get it, teller, I'm not forging checks or robbing your bank)
A: Why?
Me: Well, I guess because I just usually like friends that choose to do right. (get the brainwashing in there)
A: Do you know George Washington?
Me: Yeah, the President of the United States; that one?
A: Yeah. We heard about him for President's Day. Did he go to jail?
Me: Um...I don't think so. He was a good President.
A: Oh.



How, after bringing up such a random topic, can children just drop it so randomly as well? 
Seriously, mystery of the universe.

No comments: