Monday, September 20, 2010

The Unthinkable

I am appalled that I did it. The temptation was always there, but I was never drawn in. I was so determined to stay true to myself. The media tells us it's okay, but I never thought it was. For 15 years, I have avoided the unimaginable atrocity. It went against every fiber of my being. And now all I can do is wait out the storm. I'm giving it 6 months. 6 months of torment seems long enough right?!

I did it...and then even took it a step further.


I hate these shoes. I never ever bought plasticky sneakers for my children, let alone plasticky shoes with big velcro. And cartoon characters. I have REFUSED, for 15 years, to EVER buy shoes with cartoon characters on them. Because unavoidably, they are plasticky and fat and ugly.

Did I mention I hate the shoes?

Even better, they light up when you walk, so that even if one could avoid looking at the ugly shiny plasticky cartoon character velcro shoes, the flashing light will guarantee your attention. (If you own a pair of these, nothing personal...I know lots of people do...that's why they make them. And if you own a pair that isn't plasticky, I applaud you for your scruples and awesome shopping skills.)


And then...



I let him wear them to church...just to avoid a last minute losing confrontation. He could have a growth spurt, right?! I'm banking on them being as horribly made as they are ugly. With any luck they'll fall apart and I'll have to buy a new pair. And next time, we won't even go near that aisle. There are shoes elsewhere. Or they could be out of his size. (Curses on him learning his numbers, so he can see that they really do have his size, even though I "didn't see it". Kidding about the learning thing...)

One good thing is that they look a lot better with shorts, and we've got lots of shorts time left down here in the south.

3 comments:

The Hammond Family Blog said...

Polly, Polly, Polly. I have these same shoes and I could care less if he wore them to church too (which he does). Since today Kolt went to the Dentist w/out shoes. I will take any shoes my kid will wear on his feet!!!!

The Hammond Family Blog said...

I still am wondering when I am going to find a pair of these that are my size. I absolutly HATE tying my shoes. J.

Polly said...

Haha...I just wear slip-ons... :D

We got in the car to pick up Allie after school today only to find that he had jumped in the car w/o shoes. Good thing he kicked these babies off onto the car floor earlier in the day. Saved me from carrying him (too many stickers to walk on this TX grass)