When I was 8 years old, my sister and I couldn't wait for the rest of the family on Christmas morning. We sneaked out and by the light of the tree, peeked at our gifts. Santa had given us both a beautiful jewelry box containing a necklace bearing our own birthstones. We quickly and quietly made our way back to bed and joined the rest of the family in the living room at the prearranged time. Unfortunately, in my excitement, I happily exclaimed my joy over the necklace before I opened the box with the family. I was one of those who decided that from then on out, I would choose anticipation; sitting and talking in the bedroom wondering at our new gifts was just more fun. (Also, I felt awful that I had ruined the surprise for my parents.)
As far as I know, my children have been curious, but haven't tried to peek...until now.
Alex has always been calmer and more patient. He enjoys the excitement, the gradual build up. The 'not knowing' makes it more exciting when it finally comes. He occupies himself with other thoughts and interests. However, he has a way of "coming across" information very easily.
Aimee is a seeker. Although she is getting better at impulse control, curiosity still gets the better of her on occasion. After her satisfaction, her conscience is restless, so we are usually in on the secret.
At Christmas, their inquisitive minds warrant a little extra care on our part. In a more careless moment this year, Aimee saw something she shouldn't have, and she just "happened" to add the item to her Christmas list. Usually, hiding is the hard part, as our lists are rarely found by our children because of a tradition of mine.
Our holiday tradition is the Christmas gift plan, written in code. The code changes from year to year and at times, it is indecipherable even to the writer, me. Our code was tricky enough this year that our surprises weren't compromised until Christmas morning (I'm pretty sure they peeked.)Here's our code...let me know what you can figure out.
Manic Monday posts can be found every Monday at Mo's.
8 comments:
It isn't surprising that we picked the same video, but your coded Christmas lists are truly unique. What a great idea.
It is way too early on Monday morning for me to try to figure out your TRADITION. What a great idea to baffle the kids.
Also, thanks for stopping by to visit my blog.
Your code would boggle the mind of spies. Our "code" is simple - each person has their own wrapping paper. It's all I can do to keep that tradition going!
I'm super curious about the secret code and do hope you share how this one was constructed! I need a similar practice as my kids are now old enough to read!
I am completely and totally stumped at the code on your list! If your kids can crack that one then you have got some potential CIA agents living with you!
jamie: love the video. great minds think alike.
carol: i hope if the parents are baffled the kids will be too
desert songbird: we do the wrapping thing as well, but usually for gifts that are to be opened together
bv: our code is a little different each year, but the basics are the same. the numbers were their birthdates added until we came up with something we could use. I suppose we really could have just assigned them each a random number, but what's the fun in that.
the gifts got more complicated this year because our children are older...we didn't put "b" for bike, we used the "k" instead. lol it was fun though.
the letter/number combos are just for confusion purposes. the bottom right corner, 33 gave 41 a F18 (fur real kitty...F for fur, 18 for the K) it's lame, but it works!
Linda: if they use their code cracking for the benefit of the country and to make money, then more power to them...I just hope they keep pretending to be surprised. Haha
Happy New Year All!!
dang gurl!!!!! YOU are seriously a rockstar at this coding thing. i think you could sell it to cracker jacks as one of the new prizes... holy cow... it was blowing my mindgrapes!! & then ticking me off that i couldn't figure it out!!
sad really, the whole jewelry box incident... i know i contributed to some of the incrimminating dialogue- it wasn't ALL you :)
I like that idea of a code. My sis and I were always curious, but we were never peakers.
One year the folks had to wake us up...well after 8am!
Post a Comment