Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Birthday Surprise

As far as birthdays go, I've always thought it was interesting how different a birthday could feel when one turned 5, than a birthday when one turned 25. As a child, my birthday was such a magical thing and I think I felt a magical tranformation on that day...as if I were suddenly bigger, smarter, cooler, and braver. I don't even remember what year it was that I stopped feeling that magic.
I know in high school I started to realize that grown-ups didn't just get the day off just because it was their birthday; they still had to go to work and be a mom and a dad and, well, a normal person, I guess. I have always been blessed to have sweet, loving people around me who want to remember me and help celebrate, but since I'm a "grown-up" now, I have experienced first hand that the world doesn't stop and revolve around the birthday girl.
This year, once again, everyone made me feel like the light of the day, with cards and phone calls and hugs and kisses. Thank you so much!
I chose not to make a cake or even a superbly great birthday dinner on Wednesday, because it was the middle of the week and I really wanted to celebrate on the weekend, so even though I didn't have definite plans, I thought an out-to-dinner-shopping-on-the-weekend thing would be good.
Friday morning, my plans took shape when I stepped out of the shower and was greeted by Dustin, who was clearly not at work, but had only left a couple of hours earlier to pick up Sibyl, who took the red eye flight down for my surprise birthday weekend! He told me to hurry and get ready, because I had to leave in an hour. He gave me directions to the spa, where he had appointments for Sibyl and me to relax with hair, facial, and pedicure.
Of course, in typical Polly fashion, I dragged my sister around with me (okay, well, I certainly didn't have twist her arm) to shop for "barstools and a shower curtain." We picked up a few extra things as well.
I didn't even make my own cake. Although the information is sketchy, I'm told that my friend volunteered to make the cake, and as Dustin felt her expertise would suit the task, he cheerily handed over the reins (thanks Blossom!)
In my defense, I did start to suspect something. Once children are involved in a secret, no matter how devious and evasive they think they are, they always manage to let something slip, and I wasn't even trying to get information out of them. I started to wonder if I really should do a more in depth cleaning (I'll thank my mom for that perfection obsession) rather than allowing the kids to just "keep thing picked up." (Aimee mentioned "only we know why we're supposed to clean up." Alex hesitated to commit to play softball with the young men's church group on Saturday morning, "ooh, THIS Saturday?" and of course little Allie who just lit up with an "I know a secret" kind of look. The only thing she actually said was, "Why'd you tell her?" Unfortunately, it was in response to a passing comment, which grouped a lot of things together...Sibyl being one of the words mentioned. I can just imagine her mind churning away, pointedly avoiding any and all references to any "give away" words.)

This birthday surprise was a total hit and completely caught me off guard....I loved every moment of it. Thanks to my loving husband, sweet sister, and devious children.

3 comments:

ClancyPants said...

That is the cutest story ever. I've always wanted some sort of surprise party... or just surprise something that's planned like you got... for my birthday. It has yet to happen. Do you think that maybe this year is the year? I'll be 30! That's gotta pull some weight with my hubby...

Anyway, I loved your birthday surprises! How cute is Dustin to plan all that! And Sib too...

What a fun day! Happy birthday! I forgot to remember to call or email or even leave a comment on your blog! Silly me. Mac's Bday is the 15th so I kinda get my mind occupied with that. Anyway, glad you had a fun time. Love you!

Brecca said...

How fun! I love surprises and don't get many. You are so lucky and loved. Hope your birthday was an awesome one. You are a special person in my life. Thanks for everything!

sassley said...

What a sweet husband he went all out. What fun to have a day off with a special sister who flew in just for the occasion, such a treat. I have very fond memories of spending many fun birthday's with you. It sounds like you were treated as special as you are. HAPPY BIRTHDAY POLLY!!