Tonight, Aimee was looking for a song for their cheer dance for the Halloween pep rally. Of course, a lot of the hiphop songs often slip in some less-than-choice words. On one particular song, I asked her
"What words are bleeped out of this?"
"Um, the "f" word"
Allie immediately chimed in, "What's the "f" word? .... Mom, Aimee, what's the 'f' word?.... Oh, is it *whispering* fat??"
Sure, babe. It's fat.
*************************************
This conversation reminded me that I hadn't shared Aidan's choice phrase. Apparently, while playing a video game, Dustin heard him exclaim, "Holy S&@*" He asked him why he said it and Aidan told him it was because it means "when something is really awesome of cool, that's what it means." WHAT??? Where did he get that? Oh... "it was on "I Am Number Four". "
I know, I know. I don't usually do such a horrible job of age-inappropriate movies. But he watched this one while I was gone, and was totally addicted. Those who watched it assured me that they skipped the scary parts. Great.
So, he has now been told that if he can't edit it from his language, the movie is bye-bye because there are lots of great words to use, but that isn't one of them. He's only slipped a couple times. Like, I'll hear him say it when something is really really cool, and then it is followed directly with "I mean HOLY COW". Mostly it's gone, though. I just thought it was pretty funny that he latched on to a cool new vocabulary word and used it in its proper context, as far as exclamations go. This is why children develop such a vast vocabulary in such a small amount of time. Because their minds want to grow and learn and discover. And generally, his mind learns all the right things. Really. I promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment