This little plastic storage bowl is one of the first items that Dustin and I owned together. We were living in our apartment up the hill from East Mission Beach in San Diego, and had nothing store our leftovers in. So this quick pick up at whatever store was closest, and in walking distance, was our first fridge storage bowl. It used to have a twin, but that one is gone. It does, however, have its 9 x13 companion, and they each still have their lids.
What they don't have, is a color to call their own.
Since the beginning, we have NEVER agreed on the color of this bowl, which has, in some cases, led to confusion.
"Hand me that blue bowl, please?"
"What blue bowl?"
"The blue bowl to put this food into the fridge."
"What blue bowl? We don't have a blue bowl."
"Fine, I'll get it myself."
"That?! That's green, not blue. If I knew what you were talking about I would have gotten it for you."
"This bowl is clearly blue. It's not even close to green."
"No, it's green."
Fast forward 15 years; we have had similar conversations to that one MANY times! And our children have been brought into it as well. We have a child who insists it is one color, while another agrees with the other parent. Sad, right?
We finally took the debate to the streets, literally. As Allie delivered her Thank You cards from her birthday party, we joined her, bowl and clipboards in hand, to poll the neighbors. (Probably there is some etiquette rule about having another agenda while giving Thanks, but ... oh well.)
So, what color is this bowl? Vote in the comments, tell me in person, vote in the poll on the right of the screen. Send all your friends over to vote.
What they don't have, is a color to call their own.
Since the beginning, we have NEVER agreed on the color of this bowl, which has, in some cases, led to confusion.
"Hand me that blue bowl, please?"
"What blue bowl?"
"The blue bowl to put this food into the fridge."
"What blue bowl? We don't have a blue bowl."
"Fine, I'll get it myself."
"That?! That's green, not blue. If I knew what you were talking about I would have gotten it for you."
"This bowl is clearly blue. It's not even close to green."
"No, it's green."
Fast forward 15 years; we have had similar conversations to that one MANY times! And our children have been brought into it as well. We have a child who insists it is one color, while another agrees with the other parent. Sad, right?
We finally took the debate to the streets, literally. As Allie delivered her Thank You cards from her birthday party, we joined her, bowl and clipboards in hand, to poll the neighbors. (Probably there is some etiquette rule about having another agenda while giving Thanks, but ... oh well.)
So, what color is this bowl? Vote in the comments, tell me in person, vote in the poll on the right of the screen. Send all your friends over to vote.
Behold...the bowl!
So as not to influence your perspective, you can vote now. If you'd like to see the bowl in comparison to some of our items around the home, feel free to keep scrolling down.
While only one person in the neighborhood poll suggested "white" (yes, a young child who may or may not know his colors, or care about saying the correct one) the general leaning was blue. Well, it was heavily "blue". Although one voter was clearly reluctant to stick to blue or green and would have rather voted "aqua." Some were more specific, "ocean blue" "light sky robin's egg blue" And while we insisted on recording the first impression vote, two of the VERY few green votes changed their vote to blue.
9 comments:
turquoise!!!! Then you are both correct. Which when I was a kid was my favorite color.
Alright-- to be fair, you've already tainted your online voting results of the survey by adding the end bit on how your neighborhood voted... :P AND, to be truly fair, an 'other' or write-in type option should've been included in the polling choice. But maybe you couldn't do this with the online voting feature?? Anywho, it could really go both ways-- I would've picked a middle ground color so that every knows what the H*** bowl you were talking about (not knowing would drive me BANANAS!!!), but now you no doubt have been the calling it the "great debate" bowl, or the "argument bowl", right?!
tainted but my first impression was turquoise, before i read the neighbors write in. i wouldn't call it blue or green.
sorry i am logged into myers account
haha. okay...my poll is only blue or green because we were trying to stick to "which basic color is it mostly"
so...yeah...I could have added turquoise or aqua or "other" but wanted to stick with the basics.
I only included the neighborhood results at the VERY end so that you could vote before you read them.
...and if you vote blue or green, but also want to clarify that you thought it was teal or whatever...i would LOVE to hear that specification in comments.
sorry to sabatoge your poll but I voted for both because they are both colors. Hence turquoise and that is my final answer!
Really how can you have a clear cut blue or green answer. That is like asking someone with hazel eyes to answer whether they have brown or green eyes.
That's okay. I tried to add an answer to the poll early this morning, but I would have had to delete the poll and make a new one...and then get you to come back on and vote. You can vote for both if you explain that it's a mix. :)
You're funny.
I would call it "Blue-Green" Crayola has a blue-green, officially. I looked just to be sure. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Crayola_crayon_colors
Although, technically, it looks more like "blizzard blue" on the crayola list.
Post a Comment