Thursday, June 3, 2010

Last Day of School! Woo Hoo!

Maybe I'm supposed to be the *grown-up* here, but I absolutely LOVE the last day of school.

Am I worried about keeping kids busy over the summer? NOPE
Am I mourning my kid-free time? NOPE
Am I dreading 'I'm bored' whines? NOPE (not yet)

I LOVE SUMMER Break!!!

I don't have to drag kids (and self) out of bed in the dark.
I don't have to fight with them to go to sleep even when it's light outside (well, I might have to do that a little).
I don't have to rush around all afternoon picking children up from various schools and taking them to various lessons and activities.
I'm overjoyed.
My kids have changed so much this school year. I can hardly believe how much they've grown (we've gone through a few different clothing sizes this year) and we're all ready to take on the summer fun. Beginning of the year photos: click here.

Last day of school...May 27, 2010!!!

"Little Miss Apprehensive Allie" at the beginning of the year didn't want to stay at school. Every year seems to begin this way, and she loves her class and her teacher in the end. This year, she didn't have her *best* buds in her class, but she quickly found new besties. She loves them. She loves her teacher, Mrs. Duzan (and said so in her card to her at the end of the year.)

Miss Aimee almost ran us out of house and home for the sake of shoes this year. She started this year in a shoe size 4 and went up one size, then another, then another....her feet are now a size 8...and those are my shoes she's wearing to the last day of school.

Aidan became a star at Allie's school. Despite the fact that she likes school, and likes her teacher, she liked us to walk her in ... every day. So, we did. Aidan and I walked the path from our car to the classroom, waited while Allie put her things away in her locker and turned in her homework, then walked her to her other class (1/2 hour of gifted and talented class). It was fun, and we got another few minutes to talk about the day, and every minute counts.
Aidan showed up at school *almost* every day in his pajamas and boot. Some days, he got dressed, some days he wore his spiderman sandals, but most days it was pajamas and boots. These boots rock. They're supposed to be fireman boots, but they're red and black, so most of the time, they're referred to as Spiderman boots. At the beginning of the year, we got a lot of comments like "oh is it going to rain?" "hey, nice boots" "are you heading to fight the fire today?" But in the end, the teachers in the halls that we frequented expected to see Aidan in his boots and LOVED it. LOL
As spring arrived, Aidan has taken up the habit of taking off his clothes. He used to wear his boots with his batman or spiderman costume, but spring got hot, and it became boots and superhero underwear. Standard spring uniform at our house...well, for the 3 year old at least.

Okay, this isn't actually Alex on the last day of school.
This is Alex 5 minutes ago. (almost a week after the end of school and 11:15pm)
BUT.
Alex didn't actually have to go to school on time on the last day of school.
The last week of school they were on "testing" schedule, so they just had to show up to check in at 11am, or for their final in a class, whichever was sooner. The last day of school, Alex wasn't up when I was taking pictures. Alex, like Aimee, used the phrase "I don't have any other jeans to wear" a few times this year, since he got new clothes and then grew out of them, or wore holes in them (and his school doesn't allow ANY holes). He's taller than I, wears a much bigger shoe, and gave his hand-me-down T's to me (some of them).

No comments: