Hmmm... I don't agree with you at all. Maybe you're right about whether or not government should be taking this on but until people take personal responsibility for themselves AND their children I'm all for the help/programs/initiatives as well as incentives for our obscenely overweight, stressed out, and maxed out population but I for one am SUPER happy that Jamie Oliver has taken on this task and is bringing it to light. I cried my eyes out the night I saw this show and sat up until 2 am worried sick about how to help more people... As coach I am literally helping people one by one EVERY DAY, every hour through the step by step to start taking control of their kitchens(to start cooking REAL food), their time (so they can fit in just 30 minutes of exercise), and to even start believing in themselves that they can even do these simple things. My Bottom Line is this: Change is not easy, and 99.99999% of people truly need help from someone else to change (whatever it is they want to change), or just some basic accountability. The obesity rate will not change until change occurs at home. Because change is not happening at home (because believe it or not MOST parents don't have the healthy habits to even pass on to their children) is when our leadership has a duty to help their citizens.
I thought the video was interesting and wanted to bookmark it, but since I'm not on my computer (cuz it's broken) I didn't know how exactly to do that. I do have Jamie Oliver's food revolution button on the side of my blog too, because I agree that something seriously has to be done. I was going to go into a better explanation on a new post or something, because I just didn't have time.
I do think that Jamie is right in trying to wake people up to the problem. Living in my little bubble in Kennewick was awesome, and I hated coming down here to see the junk that people feed their kids (not that I'm exempt, but I'm way better than most of them here) Anyway, I do think that they need a wakeup call. Even my children (Alex and Aimee) were appalled and grossed out at the school lunches here. In WA, they had choices, and they were healthy ones. Here, I don't even know how they are receiving government funding for their school meals because they are aweful.
I also read something that said, in general, TX has a no junk food rule for schools...zero tolerance for zero nutrient foods. Sorry, but I think that donuts for federally funded school lunch would definitely qualify as zero nutrient.
What I liked about this video is that it makes it clear that the government is already involved and they are approving food that is crap. There needs to be a way that they don't have to have federal oversight, but rather let each state or community abide by certain standards and then get fresh local foods or something. IDK
I do like that he's bringing a wake up call...I signed his petition and added his button to my blog, so I agree; I just disagree that the federal government is the answer. They are already involved and they are doing a really bad job.
oh, and click the jamie oliver button to sign the petition if you want...because it really is sad that these kids are learning from an early age that food has to be covered in salt, preservatives, and grease to taste good. Really sucks.
3 comments:
Hmmm... I don't agree with you at all. Maybe you're right about whether or not government should be taking this on but until people take personal responsibility for themselves AND their children I'm all for the help/programs/initiatives as well as incentives for our obscenely overweight, stressed out, and maxed out population but I for one am SUPER happy that Jamie Oliver has taken on this task and is bringing it to light. I cried my eyes out the night I saw this show and sat up until 2 am worried sick about how to help more people... As coach I am literally helping people one by one EVERY DAY, every hour through the step by step to start taking control of their kitchens(to start cooking REAL food), their time (so they can fit in just 30 minutes of exercise), and to even start believing in themselves that they can even do these simple things. My Bottom Line is this: Change is not easy, and 99.99999% of people truly need help from someone else to change (whatever it is they want to change), or just some basic accountability. The obesity rate will not change until change occurs at home. Because change is not happening at home (because believe it or not MOST parents don't have the healthy habits to even pass on to their children) is when our leadership has a duty to help their citizens.
I thought the video was interesting and wanted to bookmark it, but since I'm not on my computer (cuz it's broken) I didn't know how exactly to do that. I do have Jamie Oliver's food revolution button on the side of my blog too, because I agree that something seriously has to be done. I was going to go into a better explanation on a new post or something, because I just didn't have time.
I do think that Jamie is right in trying to wake people up to the problem. Living in my little bubble in Kennewick was awesome, and I hated coming down here to see the junk that people feed their kids (not that I'm exempt, but I'm way better than most of them here) Anyway, I do think that they need a wakeup call. Even my children (Alex and Aimee) were appalled and grossed out at the school lunches here. In WA, they had choices, and they were healthy ones. Here, I don't even know how they are receiving government funding for their school meals because they are aweful.
I also read something that said, in general, TX has a no junk food rule for schools...zero tolerance for zero nutrient foods. Sorry, but I think that donuts for federally funded school lunch would definitely qualify as zero nutrient.
What I liked about this video is that it makes it clear that the government is already involved and they are approving food that is crap. There needs to be a way that they don't have to have federal oversight, but rather let each state or community abide by certain standards and then get fresh local foods or something. IDK
I do like that he's bringing a wake up call...I signed his petition and added his button to my blog, so I agree; I just disagree that the federal government is the answer. They are already involved and they are doing a really bad job.
oh, and click the jamie oliver button to sign the petition if you want...because it really is sad that these kids are learning from an early age that food has to be covered in salt, preservatives, and grease to taste good. Really sucks.
Post a Comment