Friday, October 2, 2009

Friday Night Lights

Texas is big on football, so it makes perfect sense that the Homecoming game is even bigger. Last year, the giant mums and ribbons hanging from them gave the shock of the season, but this year, I had my wits about me enough to shoot a few pics. Evidence that I'm not exaggerating when I say they are crazy:


Okay, some of the elementary school kids had some reasonable stuff going on. The child in the back, for example, had a sort of wrist corsage, for the arm, with some small ribbons and bells. The girl that I was actually shooting, however, had one that I would refer to as insane. In the center, is a button with her boyfriend's picture, which is surrounded by football badges and just lots of ribbons.

Here's a close up of an arm corsage variety. Again, this was an elementary aged child, so the "mums" are not just reserved for the high schoolers at that dance.

These girls were third or fourth graders...all decked out in the AHS Mustangs Cheer uniform and mums and ribbons.

Two of the girls at the middle school. Not only did these girls get mums and ribbons, they had megaphones, feathers, stars, bells, and maybe more...who knows.

Amusing, yes. I always thought the homecoming stuff was for the high school kids, but at least here, the whole city goes, so we did. We had lots of fun at both the parade and the game, not to mention we still have candy from the parade.
This float was the only one I took a picture of. There were lots "Cage the Wildcats" floats with stuffed animals or kids dressed at wildcats in cages. This one was "Hunt the Wildcats" and in addition to the tree stand, they had a hunting blind in the trailer behind the truck. As a shout out to my dad and hunting cousins, I had to get a picture of this one.

The Andrews Mustang Bowl. This "High School" Football stadium is huge. And unfortunately, my picture shows the opposing team's side. The Mustang side was absolutely packed.
The first touchdown ... Aidan wasn't sure what to make of it. The mascot ran across the track, the spirit guys carrying banners, and a siren car of some sort. GO MUSTANGS!
Loving the game.

Of course, the Andrews Mustangs won. 52-0.

1 comment:

Genene said...

Hey Polly!

I'm finally reading your blog. I'm very slow to remember to read blogs so I sat here & read quite a few posts. It's really wonderful to be able to track your family through your excellent pics & posts.

Love the Homecoming corsages! Flashbacks to my youth! Looks a little more over the top than it used to be though! I never got into going to the football games..... funny that, because I always thought I was missing out on something fabulous. I just couldn't get into it even though I gave it a good try over & over again. Your family is adorable & I love seeing the pictures. They're growing up so fast & y'all are so far away that it's truly nice to be able to keep up a bit! Give everyone my love!

Love to you too! ♥♥♥
G