Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Trash Talk Tuesday: Pet Peeves

I haven't had a TTT post for a while. Part of the reason is that by the time Tuesday comes, I have forgotten anything that may have annoyed me. That may sound good, and it is to a degree, as I don't really let things bother me for long, but as evidenced by my stagnant blog, I also haven't remembered anything else. I've been busy and haven't had time to post anything, but I also am too brain dead to remember what I wanted to post about. I was actually thinking of a TTT last week, but then forgot it. Luckily, Clancy posted about Pet Peeves and I remembered it!

Husband just started shift work again. It's great that we are able to get some things done during the week that are just impossible to do on the weekends. In general, we really like the schedule. Sometimes, he volunteers to take the kids to school. Sounds good, but I don't get to sleep in, because I still have to get up to help them get ready. The peeve part comes later in the day, when I want to go somewhere; I have my hands loaded with the "baby" and diaper bag and drinks, etc...I go to open the door and buckle the child...it's locked. Because, after he drops off the kids, he just gets out of his door, the others stay locked. When I get out, I automatically unlock them all, so that I don't have the inconvenience the next time. A small annoyance, but noteworthy. It's almost enough for me to just do it myself...almost.

Another pet peeve that comes up often (especially during the holiday season when I seem to be going into stores more often) is smokers in front of a doorway of a store or restaurant when there is a sign a few feet away that clearly states "no smoking within 25 feet of entrance." I thanked one guy who was actually 25 feet away. He probably thought I was crazy, but hey, he deserved to be commended (plus I probably won't ever see him again, so he can think whatever he wants.)

One of the rules at my house is "If you open it, close it." Apparently it is one rule that is made to be broken because I'm almost certain I am the only one who obeys it. Open cupboard, closets, doors, toilet lids, etc.... You would think that if you aren't supposed to be in the pantry eating junk food right before dinner that you'd be sneaky about it and shut the pantry door when you're done, throw away the wrapper...unfortunately no. I think I'll have to keep a tally card on how many times I close that door in one day.As for closets, Allie did a really good job keeping her closed for just over a week and I actually think that it may have established a habit. She was reminded on her own by the bulbs that we had placed in there. They had to be in a cool dark place to establish the roots before being moved to the light. She was so excited about them that she was very diligent about keeping that door closed. It is in the light now, but she is still closing her door every time! Hooray!

Clancy mentioned that she doesn't like to bring in groceries one, and I agree, but not just bringing them in. I hate that I have to put them all in the cart, then put them all on the conveyer belt, then put them in bags (which is better than a bagger or cashier not putting things in the right bag...produce with produce, meat with meat...boxes with boxes) then back in the cart, then in the car, then in the house. I would totally shop at a store where you just scan the things and bag them as you put them into your cart. That would take away so many of those steps.
(Click the picture to go to the article on HGTV about it.)

Your pet peeves are welcome! Please comment! I'd love to hear that silly small things don't only bother me, but others as well!

3 comments:

ClancyPants said...

LOL! I love it! I'm with you on the whole grocery thing. Carrying them inside is my biggest pet peeve, but the whole grocery shopping experience just kills me. Our cupboards are often empty cuz I hate going grocery shopping!!! I think what I really want is to just order my groceries online and have someone deliver them and carry them inside. That's GOTTA be coming down the technology pipe sometime soon. I actually don't mind putting them away. I kinda like it even.

Self locking doors are uber-annoying. Especially when someone like husbands leave them locked and we moms always unlock. Yep. You and me both on that one. :)

The Hammond Family Blog said...

I agree with the grocery shopping. My major annoyance is trying to keep fragile things from the bottom of the cart, smushed from the groceries on the conveyer belt and in the car. Hey I should invent a grocery organizer for store and vehicle. LOL

Travis Cody said...

My major annoyance at the grocery is the people in front of me who don't put the divider down after they have loaded their items on the conveyor.

Honestly, why is that small courtesy so difficult to remember?