Monday, August 25, 2008

Manic Monday: Club

I was one of the kids in High School who wanted to be in as many clubs as I could be and have my picure on the most pages of the yearbook; it's a little embarrassing to admit it, well a lot embarrassing, but I really did have fun in all of them. I loved the service that we did in Kiwanis club, reading to the Head-Start kids, recycling, even Adopt-A-Highway litter patrol was fun when it was all your friends together. I really made good friends and learned a lot on ASB (All Student Body) Drama Club, Debate Club, well, they were mostly just fun, but I truly did learn something from every one of them.
What I learned was that, even though it doesn't really matter how many pages of the yearbook that you are on, it is important to be involved in different interests and activities. I really need to use that knowledge in my life now to continue to have those good experiences. I don't want to limit myself to only one group, but sometimes I find myself doing that just because it's the easiest. But my own experience should have taught me by now that I really need to include family, friends, neighborhood, church, the kids' schools, work, community groups, sports...and really enjoy what each has to offer. I want to find that balance because it gives me fulfillment and will also open my children's eyes to more of the world around them.

3 comments:

ClancyPants said...

I forgot about that... but now I remember you being Miss Club USA. I wish I had done more of that. I wasn't in ANY clubs (except for "The Weird" and THAT was really beneficial (if you're into calling years of torture beneficial). Nice job, Miss Club!

Polly said...

Miss Club USA...lol...I like the sound of that. Too funny. Since my childhood dreams of being Miss Universe didn't work out, I'll settle for Miss Club.

Big Sis said...

Seriously! You are SOOOO Miss Super Club USA!! TOTALLY On the nose, clank! I remember you being miss flighty flighterton to everything and anything that involved people- and ALL people. In fact, sometimes the weirder people or the more outsider they were, all the better. Ah, dear sis- so annoying how our tendencies get in the way of some our talents & abilities, ey? Keep reaching and stretching- I have NO doubt you'll get there!