April's theme for Primary is "Jesus Christ Restored the Fulness of the Gospel through Joseph Smith". Since the children have all heard the account of Joseph's first vision, even recently in their classes, I wasn't planning to go over it all, I planned a review worksheet that we could discuss the highlights, while focusing on the Power of God, and His omnipotence in the restoration, and the translation of the plates.
Today, we had a visitor who, of course, didn't know the history, so I ended up skipping some of my other prepared material to go over the account a little more in detail, and then got back to the translation of the plates. We had a coded message that we worked together to decode (Power of God) and read D & C 1:29
"And after having received the record of the Nephites, yea, even my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., might have power to translate through the mercy of God, by the power of God, the Book of Mormon."
I posed the question, "If the plates were written in a language that he couldn't read, how did Joseph Smith translate them into the Book of Mormon."
Without skipping a beat, and in all seriousness, Allie suggested, "He used the internet?!"
Yes, lots of laughter, including myself...
I asked if they remembered the picture or the story of him translating the plates, and she said, yes, it looked like he had a computer thing to look at. *sigh*
Referring them back to the scripture, we finally came up with the correct answer...the Power of God (which was amazingly the same message that we translated on the board...imagine that! lol )
Can you tell we Google a lot at our house?
No comments:
Post a Comment